Friday, June 03, 2011

Shakespeare On Sexual Obsession, Again

Funny,remembering Angelo's speech of lust and isolated horror, I find myself thinking of another Shakespearean obsessive just a few years later, this one (in even more clotted verse) projecting his own corrupt fantasies onto his entirely undeserving wife:

Inch-thick, knee-deep, o'er head and ears a fork'd one!
Go, play, boy, play: thy mother plays, and I
Play too, but so disgraced a part, whose issue
Will hiss me to my grave: contempt and clamour
Will be my knell. Go, play, boy, play.
There have been,
Or I am much deceived, cuckolds ere now;
And many a man there is, even at this present,
Now while I speak this, holds his wife by the arm,
That little thinks she has been sluiced in's absence
And his pond fish'd by his next neighbour, by
Sir Smile, his neighbour: nay, there's comfort in't
Whiles other men have gates and those gates open'd,
As mine, against their will. Should all despair
That have revolted wives, the tenth of mankind
Would hang themselves. Physic for't there is none;
It is a bawdy planet, that will strike
Where 'tis predominant; and 'tis powerful, think it,
From east, west, north and south: be it concluded,
No barricado for a belly; know't;
It will let in and out the enemy
With bag and baggage: many thousand on's
Have the disease, and feel't not.
 That would be Leontes on Winters' Tale.  Between the two we find the isolated, obsessive and even more damaging Othello.    

No comments: