Thursday, December 15, 2011

Good News aboutThe Simpsons You Don't Have to Watch them All?

Well, that's a relief.  I mean, you know, it's not as if I always watch time this way, but I stumbled on a a piece about "favorite" or "best ever" Simpsons episodes.   And here's the thing: the comments--they were virtually unanimous that the good ones were the early ones.  That would be, maybe seasons 4-8, maybe 1-3, possibly nine, but nobody votes for the later stuff. 

Now, I always pretend to be, even believe I am a Simpsons fan but I have to admit I haven't watched it on anything like a regular basis for years.  I have been a little surprised, given the ordinary life cycle of TV shows, to find that it has lasted so long. And lo, it has not lasted so long: it just keeps running on batteries.

Fn.: for my mostly-under-25 students, it has struck me lately that references to The Simpsons are about as dated as references to Adlai Stevenson.

Undocumented Bonus:  Somehow I had never before heard: "Are you tired of always chopping off your hands in the snow blower?"   

No comments: