Thursday, January 26, 2012

Republican Politics: a Footnewt

I dunno, may be that the Newt mentum has gone out of the Newt bag before I begin to write (translated: I didn't watch the debate), but I can't resist one parting shot.  The subject for the moment is the great sage of Muncie, R. Emmett Tyrrell and his lament that Newt is "our Bill Clinton."

No, wait.The point is he's right, more or less.  Newt is Bill Clinton: a flesh-pressing mesomorphic volcano of ideas, some actually good, with a shock of white hair and only the dimmest notion of connubial fealty.  Hell, until Clinton had his bypass, they could have worn the same suits.  Maybe they did wear the same suits: chances are either one of them would pick up whichever was handy and built to fit, no matter who happened to leave it lying about.

No, don't get me wrong: Clinton can make  me tear my hair out, but as between the two it's no contest.  Someone said that Newt is a dumb guy's idea of what it is to be a smart guy.    Clinton, who really is smart, gets credit from the voters when he is most acting like trailer trash.  Maybe we get to the point if we say that Newt is a Republican's idea of what it is to be Bill Clinton. 

I really don't want to spend ten minutes locked in an elevator with either of them, though.  



1 comment:

Ebenezer Scrooge said...

I wouldn't mind being locked in an elevator with Bill Clinton, although Newt Gingrich would pose a tough choice: homicide or suicide? However, I would definitely object to my hypothetical daughter being locked in an elevator with either one of them.