Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Something that Actually Works

Okay, at the beginning of my annual eight-month vacation, I'm thinking it is time to go back and bone up on my never-very-functional classical Greek.  Right now for calisthenics, I'm working my way through a battered copy of Martin Hiner's Greek Comprehensions for Schools (1992) which I seem to have spilled coffee on already at some unknown time in the past.

I decided I really needed to put a bit in writing, and then recalled that I didn't possess an adequate Greek font.  How dreary: I've tried to configure Greek fonts before and never got them quite right.

But I popped on over to the Greek study group web page and copped myself a freebie of something called Unicorn.  I downloaded; I unzipped; I fired up; I found myself looking at a blank page.

But hey wait a minute--it's all there.  Just press escape twice, and you're good to go.

Are you surprised?  Maybe I should not have been.  Countless apps these days come on board the Iphone friction free.  But I  go back to the Pleistocene.  The very idea of a program that you did not have to configure, start over, reonfigure--and finally abandon as worthless.  Something that actually works: how refreshing, And free, BTW.  I have no idea who this Kirk Lougheed guy is  (I don't suppose it is this guy?), but he has my gratitude.  Now, as I was saying,ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα ...

No comments: