Monday, April 22, 2013

Where's Chechnya?

In all the harmless merriment over the "where's Chechnya" meme, I'm happy to see that some people are remembering "Pine Barrens," the very best episode of The Sopranos, infra.  They might also have recalled what Neville  Chamberlain said after he handed the Czechs over to Hitler:

"a quarrel in a far away country between people of whom we know nothing."

And now that I think of it, I keep hearing reports that folks were confusing Chechnya with "The Czech republic."  Not likely, IMO.  My guess is that anybody who made that blooper would have said "Czechoslovakia," not knowing that "Czechoslovakia" closed up shop back in '93. 

Confusing Kyrgizstan with Kazakhstan is perhaps a bit more forgivable.  From what I read, apparently there were/are a lot of Chechnyans in Kazakhstan, just not the current lot.



No comments: