Monday, September 23, 2013

What's a Joint LIke You Doing ....

This is kind of ancient history but it came up in conversation today so I might as well get some mileage out of it. Anyway--back in the 90s I sat on some committees to recommend candidates for judgeships.  Under some sort of rule, we had to ask the candidate whether s/he had ever done drugs.  Most of the  committee members hated the rule--they thought it was crude, intrusive and unhelpful. But hey, rules are rules.  Anyway, answers tended to fall into three categories:
--The short answer is "no." I'm not bragging, maybe I missed out on something important.  But there you are.

--Well, umm, harrumph, ah, but that was many years ago and the records have been expunged.

--Drugs?  What kind of dumb question is that? I was Berkeley in the 70s!  Of course I did drugs!  I drank the bong water!
For valuable prizes,
--Which is most likely to make a good judge?  
--Which is most likely to get the job?

 

1 comment:

Ebenezer Scrooge said...

I was in law school in 1987-8. Douglas Ginsberg had just been bounced from the Supreme Court because of his past history with marijuana. My law review decided to throw a party for its members. I came in with a cylinder of some herbaceous substance. I lit it up.

You could hear the clanging of sphincters.

I here praise the one person who had enough integrity to ask for a toke. (I doubt that this person was a regular smoker.) I only regret that my praise cannot take the form of a name.