Friday, June 21, 2013

Lazy Hazy Crazy Days of Summer

Thenne cam Sleuthe al byslobberd with two slimed yes.
'Y moste sitte to be shryue or elles sholde y nappe;
Y may not wel stande ne stoupe ne withouten a stoel knele.
Were y brouhte in my bed, but yf my tayl-ende hit made,
Sholde no ryngyng do me to ryse til y were rype to dyne.
 So William Langland, Piers Plowman, the beginning of Passus 7 as transcribed by Derek Pearsall (York Medieval Texts, second series (n.d.?), subtitled "an edition of the C-text."

Then came Sloth all beslobbered with two slimed eyes.
I must sit to be shriven or else should I nap.
I may not wwell stand nor stoop nor without a stool kneel.
Were I brought to my bed, unless my rear-end brought me to it,
Should no ringing do me to rise till it were ripe to dine.



No comments: