Thursday, August 31, 2006

Another Leading Indicator

I wonder if this is an index of (anything) in the real estate market.

I’m just back from the Marketing Real Estate Forum at Thecreativeinvestor.com. There are 250 “post groups,” – i.e., messages, not counting answers. As of a moment ago, 13 of these 250 included the term “bandit signs.”

I confess, I didn’t even know what a “bandit sign” is. In the context of real estate, I assumed it was a sign saying that the foreclosing bank was a, well, a bandit.

But no. Wiki sets me straight:

Flyposting is the act of placing advertising posters or flyers in illegal places. In the US, these posters are known as bandit signs or street spam.

In most areas, it is illegal to place such posters on private property without the consent of the property owner or on public property without a sign permit from the local government.

It is an advertising tactic mostly used by small businesses promoting concerts and political activist groups, but there have been occasions where international companies subcontracted local advertising agencies for flyposting jobs in order to not get caught in illegal behavior.

Flyposting is commonly seen as a nuisance due to issues with property rights, visual appearance and littering and is a misdemeanor in many countries.

And they might have added: a highly developed sales technique in a sliding real estate market. “Language on Bandit Signs,” is Post #2. “Who’s Putting Out Your Bandit Signs?” is #8. I particularly enjoyed #43, from BoboTheKing:

Does anyone have some good color combinations for bandit signs and car magnets (lettering and background) that produces the best results? I have heard black lettering on yellow is good, but wanting to get all the input I can on what has worked well for other investors. Thanks in advance.

For all I know, there is a Bandit Sign Association, with a Washington lobbyist. I bet California requires a professional license.

No comments: