Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Christian Abstinence

Elbowing my way into a free table at the student dining hall today, I found myself next to a dazzling young twosome, totally entranced with each other. She was drop-dead beautiful, vaguely Asian--Pilipino? He was plain vanilla, if you can ignore the earring. It didn't take long to figure out that they were Christians, and happy to talk about it (to each other; I remained invisible throughout). When did you become a... No, my father is not a... My first boyfriend was a ... . And so forth. In time the talk turned to abstinence, or perhaps I should say "Christian abstinence," because the coupling (pardon) seemed to come naturally. They seemed to be in favor of abstinence, but it certainly commanded their attention. As I tucked away my book and prepared to leave, they were tackling the subtopic of erectile dysfynction. It seemed to make them really hot.

I have lived long, I have seen much.

No comments: