Saturday, May 12, 2007

Soda, Pop or Coke?
(And Remembering Hag)

I have to join the multitudes who will idle away the weekend puzzling over the map of "soda, pop, or coke"--generic names for your favorite fizzy beverage:

Basics, for those who can't puzzle out the fuzzy image: blue (northwest) is pop, red (south) is Coke, tan-brown (northeast) is soda. I have a couple of questions:
  • Where's tonic? I grew up in New Hampshire, and the summer people from New York always teased us for calling it tonic. Which they, but surely not we, insisted on pronouncing as "tahnic."

  • What is it with St. Louis?

Meanwhile, this is as good a time as any to recall the early 80s, when I had the great good fortune to sojourn at length in Rome. For some reason I still thought I needed to drink decaf. The only available variety was a fiendish Danish concoction called "Hag" (hey, here it is!--link). "Hai decaf?" you would ask. The waiter would reply. "Hag."

But no, he wouldn't. Think about it. An initial aspirate, and a final consonant. Two sounds utterly alien to Italian speech. "'Ag-guh," the waiter would struggle. "Si," I would respond, "Hag."

Over time, I have come to learn that I can do without decaf, and certainly do without powdered sludge. The Italians, meanwhile, seem to have learned that they can do without ag-guh. I haven't seen it there in years.

Hat tip: Boingboing, and Boingboing sources (link).

No comments: