Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Christmas Afterthought

One afterthought on Christmas, which may fall in with my earlier "debunking" posts. Anyway, I assume you recognize this one:

Whosoever on the night of the nativity of the young Lord Jesus, in the great snows, shall fare forth bearing a succulent bone for the lost and lamenting hound, a wisp of hay for the shivering horse, a cloak of warm raiment for the stranded wayfarer, a bundle of faggots for the twittering crane, a flagon of red wine for him whose marrow withers, a garland of bright berries for one who has worn chains, gay arias of lute and harp for all huddled birds who thought that song was dead, and divers sweetmeats for such babies’ faces as peer from lonely windows -

To him shall be proffered and returned gifts of such an astonishment as will rival the hues of the peacock and the harmonies of heaven, so that though he live to the great age when man goes stooping and querulous because of the nothing that is left in him, yet shall he walk upright and remembering, as one whose heart shines like a great star in his breast.

Or perhaps "ye night of ye nativity." Often billed, as here, as "The Great Astonishment," or "Ye Great Astonishment," as the case may be. I expect I first saw it about 1960, probably on a Christmas card. Somewhat sheepishly I admit I thought it was pretty wonderful at the time and even more sheepishly I acknowledge that I have a certain lingering affection for it even now--fully anticipating the hoots of derision I will sustain from all the cool kids on the playground.

Perhaps the big thing wrong with it is that it could be too easily packed up by the animators at Disney--I can just see that "lost and lamenting hound" as one of the extras from Lady and the Tramp. And the huddled birds and the sweet babes' faces--Stop! Stop! I'll confess! I'll tell you anything you want!

My guess is that it is a bit of faux medaevalism, like that "go placidly" bit that is always billed as having been "found in a Baltimore church dated 1692"--when it turns out that the text goes all the way back to 1927 (although the associated church may, in fact, date from 1692). Or that "Lord, make me an instrument of thy peace" prayer, characteristically attributed to St. Francis of Assisi, apparently written during World War I (although frequently stamped on the back of St. Francis prayer cards).

Funny thing, I have not found any "debunking" of the "lost and lamented hound" bit. Maybe it is too trivial to notice. In any event, you can bet if Disney does get their hands on it, they will slap it under copyright.

No comments: