Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Honor System Transit: Remembering that Cop in Florence

Kevin Drum has an interesting post up about honor-system transit in Los Angeles (link). Reminds me of the time a couple of years back when I was riding a city bus in Florence. A black kid of about 10 hopped on; moments later he was confronted by a ticket inspector. It was the only, only, onliest time I've ever seen a ticket inspector on the bus in Florence, and bad luck, the kid didn't have a ticket.

"Now get off the bus," said the inspector, "and never, never do that again, or I will have to tell your mother."

Dutifully, the kid stepped down at the next stop, presumably to board the next bus a few minutes later.

I hope this little act of charity cut the inspector's time in purgatory by at least 10 minutes.

No comments: