Monday, March 24, 2008

More Easter Speculation

The folks at Reality-Based Community are showing an odd ignorance of--or indifference to--certain religious traditions these days: see, e.g., link. Now this (link):

Easter doubts

While we’re on the subject, Garrison Keillor came up with this curious Eastertide reflection :

I don't doubt God's existence - there He is - but I doubt His interest in us right now and I haven't the faintest idea what He wants from me.
With Pascal and St. Thomas, I reckon it’s exactly the other way round.

Sounds to me like Pastor Keillor is preaching a text familiar to the first church of Epicurianism -- God created us all right, but now his mind is on other matters.

One is reminded also of the Leffian Corollary, after my late friend Arthur Leff: It's one thing to think that God is holding you by a thread over the fiery abyss; it's another to think he's forgotten that he's got you there.

No comments: