Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Book Fair: David on Liu and Hanauer

At 82, my cousin David still gets his blood up by slugging it out with the bad guys who, in David's case, are usually Republican. He takes time out from his labors to suit up for the Underbelly summer Book Fair:
I recommend The True Patriot, by Eric Liu and Nick Hanauer. It's almost a pamphlet. The authors are progressives who urge a return to traditional values and principles. They are eloquent and persuasive. Idealistic to the max. A secular New Testament. I mailed my copy to Obama with a letter urging him to adopt it as his secular. bible I now await a call from his headquarters.
Afterthought: I think David may be too modest in his claims. Looks to me like True Patriot has created a fair amount of buzz among its enthusiasts, and what must be a gratifying spurt of venom from its critics (see, e.g., here). There's a C-span video presentation available here. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the phone call, though. Again, recall that for your convenience, we will be collecting all the Book Fair posts here.

No comments: