Saturday, November 08, 2008

Irritating Phrases

The Telegraph serves up the 10 most irritating phrases (link). I append them, together with my (self-assessment)
The top ten most irritating phrases:

1 - At the end of the day (sometimes, but I know I shouldn't)

2 - Fairly unique (never, I think; my mother taught me that unique is unique)

3 - I personally (I don't think so. Personally.)

4 - At this moment in time (never, I think: my first city editor taught me to say "now")

5 - With all due respect (okay, maybe sometimes, but guiltily)

6 - Absolutely (kanyeshna!)

7 - It's a nightmare (more often than I would like to admit)

8 - Shouldn't of (oh, I know better than that)

9 - 24/7 (um, fraid so)

10 - It's not rocket science(way too often; perhaps remembering a student who liked to say--but I am a rocket scientist)


2 comments:

The New York Crank said...

They left out a common Americanism: "I thought to myself."

To whom else would one think?

Anonymous said...

this blows my mind