Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Notice to All

It's that time of year again: we have begun to receive the annual Christmas letters from all and sundry, chronicling their lives, their adventures and their achievement over the past year.

It is the fashion in some circles to mock these missives. I do not wish to join the mockers. In truth, I read (almost) all of them, (almost) every word. And greedily, and with pleasure. I learn stuff that I am glad to know; and I know they are meant to convey joy, and I am of the party of joy.

Still, they do take on a certain sameness after a while. In that spirit, may I serve notice on the world:
--That the grandchildren are brilliant and beautiful, and the apple of our eye; and

--That we traveled a lot this year, learned a lot, made some new friends and renewed old acquaintances; and

--That we receive signals of the persistent onslaught of aging, but that we have tried to accept them with equanimity and good humor, and

--That we look forward spending the holidays among family and friends in a spirit of Gemütlichkeit; and

--That we look to the New Year with hope for good things for all.

Yours in the recognition that every day above ground is a good day--

--Mr. and Mrs. Buce

PS--Every word of this is exactly, precisely, unironically true.

No comments: