Wednesday, December 17, 2008

"Sure We Blew a Couple of Ventures
With Those Corporate Debentures"

Mr. Interfluidity, who kindly favored me with an Ipod version of "My Attorney Bernie," invites me to take a closer look at the lyrics:
I admire my attorney Bernie
I admire any guy who knows his stuff
Sure we blew a couple ventures
With those counterfeit debentures
But you win a few, you lose a few
and like Bernie says, you keep on hanging tough.
Afterthought: if there is a real "Bernie" in this operation, perhaps it is not Bernie himself but that hapless "auditor," the one who puts you in mind of Gene Wilder in The Producers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It would have been worth quoting the words to the entire song. The chorus is excellent:

Bernie lays it on the line.
Bernies tells me what to do.
Bernie says we sign, we sign.
Bernie says we sue, we sue.

The late Susannah McCorkle does a nice version on her CD, "Hearts and Minds."