Friday, July 03, 2009

Designated Kickee

For a blog that doesn't really like to think of itself as all that political, Underbelly has devoted an inordinate amount of ink over the last 10 months to the soon-to-be ex governor of Alaska. And before anybody reminds me, I was quick off the mark with the suggestion that she wouldn't make it to election day.

Well, so I was off by 10 months. So sue me. But do remember this guy:
You won't have Nixon to kick around any more, because, gentlemen, this is my last press conference and it will be one in which I have welcomed the opportunity to test wits with you.
For those of you too young to remember: that is November 7, 1962, i.e., six years almost to the day before his election to the Presidency.

Note: I was unable to find an audio clip. Any help on this one?

Update: Here it is! Bruce rescues Buce with two choices--link; or link.

Update to update: Adam Nagourney demolishes the Nixon analogy.

Afterthought: Here's a wrinkle: she didn't resign. She only promised she would resign, a couple of weeks from now. What are the chances of a change of mind? The more I hear of it, the more I think it was an impulse move that she will come to regret.

After-afterthought: By sheer coincidence, I just last night caught Frost/Nixon. Gripping; Frank Langella certainly has changed since Twelve Chairs. And there should be an Academy Award for artificial noses.

No comments: