Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Going Postal in Palookaville

Would you want it run by the governmente? Paul Krugman is strangely restrained on this one, but I basically agree with him: I've had far more annoyance and inconvenience from my (gold plated, as it happens) private health care plan than I've ever had from any public agency anywhere. As to DMV--like most folks, I don't go there often, so I always forget to accord myself the privilege of making an appointment. But I take a butcher-shop number and have never had to wait more than 10 minutes (the last time in, I swear the lady was trying to flirt with me--now, that is desperation).

I do have some big beefs with the Postal Service on issues like, e.g., the obscene subsidy to junk mail (why can' we have a do-not-mail list?). Meanwhile the Postal service staffers, both in the office and in the field, are unfailingly courteous and helpful. Every afternoon Joe the mailman is out there making his rounds, and cheerily singing hymns. Kinda sweet, if you ask me, and I am a heathen.

No comments: