Saturday, November 21, 2009

He-e-e-e-re Bo!

Elizabeth Drew reminds President Obama of President Truman's first rule of politics: if you want a friend in Washington, get a dog.\

Update: An offline commentator asks: just whom is being betrayed here, and by whom? Interesting question to which, I suppose, I had not given much thought before I posted it. Betrayal is an important concept in the literature of social life: Shakespeare, Cervantes and Dante all pay attention to it, which fact in itself makes betrayal worthy of study. In this case, I suspect that everybody is entitled to a sense of disappointment: The President, the Counsel, the reporter and, oh yes dear reader, you and I.

1 comment:

Toni said...

Even the Congressional Black Caucus deserted him yesterday. I'm with Sarah Silverman. When Bill Maher asked a couple of weeks ago if she (like he) was disillusioned with Obama, she said "no," she was sticking with a new experience for her: blind faith. Me too. Blind faith.