Saturday, July 07, 2012

Can This Be Right? Calls and Puts

It says here:
Well, I am not somebody that I am going to simply stand and watch a bunch of uninformed people putting my religion under the carpet.
I leave the first half of the sentence to those with superior analytical skills. I'm trying to sort out "putting my religion under the carpet."  Can this be right?  You (the boss) call someone (the employee) on  the carpet--you give him a royal chewing-out.  If you put something under the carpet, you end up with a cute little coming squiggly thing, like in a Disney movie. Of course you can sweep something under the rug, but I suspect that what really concerned the speaker is that they were trying to throw something under the bus

1 comment:

Ken Houghton said...

I would make a wisecrack about Glen Ridge's favorite dyslexic having divorced all three wives when they turned 33--around the time the carpet tends to stop matching the drapes--making each of them a Christ figure, but the metonymy so far eould be overstrained by imposing mimetic layers.

So I will simply note that it is difficult for a religion founded over poker games in an agoraphobic's apartment not to get the respect it deserves.