Saturday, November 10, 2012

Hello, Sunset


I saw Sunset Blvd. last night for the first time since I saw it when it was new in 1950, ie when I was a sophomore in high school.  My what a difference a lifetime can make. Well: I liked it then, liked now.  But back then I was goggle-eyed. This time I found it really, genuinely funny. Not snark, perhaps dark, but recall that this is a movie by a man who went on the direct the greatest screen comedy of the 20th Century.  Informed by that (retrospective) knowledge, it is easy to recognize that of all the sensibilities tapped in SB, the comic is surely one of them.

 Also: I hope I'm not too far afield in seeing a bit of Glen Close and Michael Douglas,  except that this time the pot is a swimming pool and the rabbit is William Holden.  And surely I am not remiss in seeing SB as an honorable precursor to the whole Addams family thing?  C'mon now, work with me here.  Morticia?  Uncle Fester?  Am I right, or what?

And while I'm at it, is it possible that this lady will wind up as the new Glen Close?

1 comment:

Ken Houghton said...

It still hurts to see Erich von Stroheim playing...well, Erich von Stroheim.