Thursday, November 21, 2013

Swann's Way with the Rush of Events

Now let me see--shall I go surf my Feedly or shall I settle down with some Proust?  Oh, I have it--let's ask M. Swann:
Ce que je reproche aux journaux c'est de nous faire attention tous les jours à des choses insignifiantes tandis que nous lisons trois ou quatre fois dans notre vie les livres où il y a des choses essentielles. Du moment que nous déchirons fiévreusement chaque matin la bande du journal, alors on devrait changer les choses et mettre dans le journal, moi je ne sais pas, les... Pensées de Pascal! 
--Marcel Proust. Du côté de chez Swann (Kindle Locations 392-394).
What I fault the newspapers for is that day after day they draw our attention to insignificant things whereas only three or four times in our lives do we read a book in which there is something really essential.  Since we tear the band off the newspaper so feverishly every morning, they ought to change things and put into the newspaper, oh, I don't know, perhaps … Pacsal's Pensées!"
--Marcel Proust, Swann's Way (Lydia Davis trans. Kindle page 26), 

Right, that settles it.  Pascal it is then. 

No comments: