Friday, July 18, 2008

Book Fair II: Bernhard on McEwan

Here's Episode II of the Underbelly summer Book Fair. We pass the mike to my opera-loving friend Toni Bernhard, for a suggestion that has nothing to do with opera:

I recommend Ian McEwan's Amsterdam: A Novel. Not the best reviewed of his books, it's my favorite of his and, for you beachcombers, a quick read. One reviewer called the characters soulless but McEwan knew what he was doing. The plot: two men, former lovers of the same woman, meet at her funeral and make a pact I shall not divulge. The novel is biting, dark, funny, very British and only 198 pages long. It's not a profound book but it's prose at its best and that's good enough for me.

Afterthought: Toni's Amazon opera reviews are here. Much more book fair still to come. For your convenience, we will be collecting all the Book Fair posts here.

No comments: